A cast of ‘Pelikangruppe’ was displayed at the GDK 1938, room 29, and at the ‘Frühjahrs-Ausstellung, Preussische Akademie der Künste’, 1939.
One other cast -also signed 1931- is known to exist.
|– condition||: II|
|– size||: 32 cm width, hieght 23 cm|
|– signed||: signed and dated 1931|
|– type||: bronze cast with brown patina|
|– weight||: with foundry mark Guss E. Barth BLN. CHLBG.|
Albert Kraemer, ‘Pelicangruppe’, GDK 1938, room 29 (in the display-case, right under).
Albert Kraemer, ‘Panthergruppe’(‘Panthers’). Displayed at the GDK 1938, room 29. Depicted in Die Kunst im Dritten Reich 1938.
Left: Albert Kraemer, ‘Modell für ein Kriegergrabdenkmal’ (‘Model for a War Memorial’). GDK 1940, room 29.
Right: Albert Kraemer, ‘Grave Leutnant Emmrich-sculpture’, 1918. Located at the graveyard Parkfriedhof Lichterfelde, Berlin.
In July 1936, just before the Olympic Games, Albert Kraemer created two bear sculptures for the ‘Torbrücke’ of the newly constructed German Autobahn A9, the last bridge before the Berliner Ring (just before Autobahndreieck Potsdam). A bear has been the symbol of Berlin since 1280.
In 1999, when the Autabahn A9 was widened from 4 lanes to 6 lanes, the Torbrücke was reconstructed. The bear-relief at the right was saved and placed a few meters in front of the new bridge. The bear-relief at the left was stored for 17 years at a stonemason’s yard and in 2016 placed alongside the Autobahn A24, just before Autobahndreieck Havelland.
Left: Albert Kraemer, Bear-relief at the A24, near Berlin, placed at the right side of the Autobahn (!). Notice that the bear -originally designed for the left part of the bridge- looks to the right. All other Berlin-bears look -conform the Coat of Arms of Berlin- to the left.
Right: Albert Kraemer, Bear-relief at the A9 near Berlin.
Albert Kraemer, ‘Pelikangruppe’ (Group of Pelicans’), created in bronze. Displayed at the ‘Preussische Akademie der Künste, Herbst-Ausstellung’, Berlin, 1941. Depicted in the exhibition catalogue.
Left: Albert Kraemer, ‘Kopf eines Oberhessen’ (‘Bust of man from Oberhessen’). GDK 1939, room 35. Also displayed at the Grosse Berliner Kunstausstellung 1942 in the Nationalgalerie.
Right: ‘Kopf eines Oberhessen’, signed ‘A. Kraemer 1912’, bronze, Giesserei Erwin Barth Bln. Chlbg. Height 39,5 cm including base. Sold by a German auctionhouse in 2012.
Left: Albert Kramer, ‘Bär’ (‘Bear’), bronze, created around 1920, height 39 cm, sold by a German auction house in 2011. The same model executed in stone was displayed at the GDK 1939, room 32, bought by Gauleiter Walter Buch for 1.900 RM.
Right: Albert Kraemer, ‘Wisentstier’, GDK 1938, room 6. Also displayed at the ‘Frühjahrs-Ausstellung, Preussische Akademie der Künste’, 1939.
Albert Kraemer, two bears, Berlin-Tempelhof, Mariendorfer Damm 115, in the garden of a children day care centre, height 1.70 metres. Damaged (……….). Foto: 2014.
Albert Kraemer (1889 – 1953), born in Frankfurt am Main, lived from 1937 to 1943 in Berlin. At first he studied at the local Frankfurter Kunstgewerbeschule, and later at the Akademie für Bildende Künste in Berlin. He made portrait busts, war monuments and, especially, animal sculptures. Kraemer was influenced by August Gaul. His direct and formal style of sculpturing animals is reminiscent of French sculptures from the early 20th century. The city of Berlin is in possession of some of his sculptures. He created the sculpture at the grave of Leutnant Emmrich, a volunteer soldier and son of an industrialist in 1918 (located at the graveyard Parkfriedhof Lichterfelde, Berlin). Kraemer, against tradition, did not create an ideal model of the heroic individual, but instead showed a young, sportsmanlike human being in classic nakedness. Later, a copy of this sculpture was displayed at the Great Art Exhibition in 1940 as ‘Modell für ein Kriegergrabdenkmal’. Around 1920 Kraemer designed -in co-operation with Hugo Lederer- several terracotta figures for the facade of the building of the former ‘Reichsschuldenverwaltung’ in the Oranienstraße 106, Berlin (because of the broad facade, the building was nicknamed ‘laying scyscraper’). He was represented several times at the ‘Grosse Berliner Kunstausstellungen’, at exhibitions of the ‘Preussische Akademie der Künste’, and at exhibitions of the ‘Hilfswerk für Deutsche Bildende Künst in der NS-Volkswohlfahrt in Berlin. In 1936, close before the Olympic Games, Kraemer created two bear sculptures for the bridge (‘Torbrücke’) of the newly constructed German Autobahn A9, the last bridge before the Berliner Ring (just before Autobahndreieck Potsdam).
Albert Kraemer had 11 sculptures displayed in the Great German Art Exhibitions. Besides the ‘Kriegergrabdenkmal’, there were the following: ‘Wisentstier’, ‘Pelikangruppe’, ‘Panthergruppe’, ‘Bär’, ‘Grosse Pelikan Gruppe’, ‘Liegende Panther’ and ‘Panther am Baum’. Two bears (stone) by Albert Kraemer can still be found at Berlin-Tempelhof, Mariendorfer Damm 115, in the garden of a children day care centre.