Erwin Puchinger, Alte Tiroler Holzhäuser

Back

Price: on request

Description

‘Alte Tiroler Holzhäuser’ (‘Old Houses in Tirol’)
Displayed at the GDK 1943 room 34. Sold for 4,000 Reichsmark.
Original GDK medal at the back.
Depicted is the fountain and two old wooden houses at the Brunnenplatz in Fiss, Oberinntal (Tyrol, Austria).

The Brunnenplatz in Fiss, Oberinntal, before 1959.

Original GDK-medal at the back of ‘Alte Tiroler Holzhäuser’ by Puchinger.

Orignal stickers at the back of the painting.

‘Alte Tiroler Holzhäuser’ by Puchinger at the GDK 1943 room 34.

The Brunnenplatz in Fiss.
Left: before 1959.
Right: in 2024 (google street view).
 

– condition : II
– size : 111 x 92 cm; unframed……..cm
– signed : right, below ‘Erwin Puchinger 1942’
– type : oil on canvas

============================================ § ============================================


BIOGRAPHY: ERWIN PUCHINGER

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Markt in Tirol’ (‘Market in Tirol’), GDK 1939 room 5. Bought by Hitler for 2,000 Reichsmark. Size 130 x 115 cm. In the possession of the German Historical Museum (on loan to the Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nürnberg). Displayed at the exhibition ‘Kunst im 3. Reich, Dokumente der Unterwerfung’, 1975, Frankfurt am Main – Hamburg – Stuttgart – Ludwigshafen – Wuppertal/Elberfeld.
Right: ‘Markt in Tirol’ by Puchinger, hanging in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum.
The painting was found back by Allied Troops in May 1945 in the salt mines in Altaussee, Austria. Between 1943 and 1945, the extensive complex of salt mines in Altaussee served as a huge repository for art stolen by the Nazis. It also contained some contemporary art works in the possession of Hitler, and holdings from Austrian collections. At the end of the war the entire depot stored 6,577 paintings, 137 sculptures, and 484 crates of other art. Most of the artworks were accumulated under the alias ‘Sonderauftrag Linz’ by Adolf Hitler and were intended for the planned Führermuseum in Linz, Austria.
   

‘Markt in Tirol’ by Puchinger, depicted in ‘Kunst dem Volk’, 1939. Also Depicted in ‘Die Zeitschrift Kunst dem Volk, Populärwissenschaftliche Kunstliteratur im Nationalsozialismus und ihre Parallelen in der akademischen Kunstgeschichtsschreibung‘, Dissertation by Christina Schedlmayer, University of Vienna, 2010.

Puchinger put on the ‘Gottbegnadeten Liste’ three months after his death…
Puchinger died on 17 May 1944, while the Gottbegnadeten List was drawn up in August 1944. German Historical Museum’s explanation is that the List may already have been created, in concept, in 1939. Described, and depicted, on the website of the German Historical Museum.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Bauernkrieg’ (‘German Peasants War’, 1524-1525). Litho, size 32 (25) x 32 (25) cm. Date of creation unknown. Published by Gauverlag St. Pölten, 1942.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Der Besuch’ (‘The Visiter‘). GDK 1940 room 19. Size 133 x 105 cm. Sold by an Austrian auction house in 2005.
Middle: ‘Der Besuch’ by Puchinger, depicted in ‘Westermanns Monatshefte’, 1943.
Right: depicted in the 1940 GDK catalog.
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Dorfpolitiker’ (‘Village Politicans’). GDK 1938 room 30. Bought by Hitler for 1,200 Reichsmark. Depicted in ‘Österreichische Kunst’, IX Jahrgang, 1938.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Osttiroler Standschützen-Kommandaten‘ (‘Home Guard Commanders of Tyrol’). GDK 1939 room 5. Bought for 2,000 Reichsmark by the architect Clemens Klotz.
Left: ‘Osttiroler Standschützen-Kommandaten‘ by Puchinger, depicted in the GDK-exhibition catalog.
Right: ‘Osttiroler Standschützen-Kommandaten‘ by Puchinger, depicted in ‘Das Bild’, 1939.
 

‘Osttiroler Standschützen-Kommandaten‘, depicted in ‘Innsbrucker Nachrichten’, 17 July 1939.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Brunnenplatz im Berghof‘ (‘Foundry at Hill Farm’). GDK 1943 room 35. Sold for 4,200 Reichsmark. Left: depicted in ‘Kunst dem Volk’, 1943. Also printed on postcards (right).
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Hochalm bei Materle, gegen Goldberggruppe‘ (‘High Alpine Pasture near the Goldberg Group‘). Displayed at the exhibition ‘Berge, Menschen und Wirtschaft der Ostmark‘, Berlin, 1939. Depicted in ‘Die Kunst im Dritten Reich‘, 1939.

Left: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Rastende Bauer’ (‘Resting Peasant‘). GDK 1942 room 25. Bought by Franz Xaver Schwarz (National Treasurer of the NSDAP) for 4,000 Reichsmark.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Plauderstunde im Dorf’ (‘Social Hour in Village‘). GDK 1942 room 25. Bought by Theo Memmel (mayor of the city of Würzburg) for 3,800 Reichsmark.
   

Left: Erwin Puchinger’, ‘Körbersee mit Widderstein‘ (‘Körber-lake near the Widderstein‘). Displayed at the exhibition ‘Berge und Menschen der Ostmark’, Künstlerhaus Vienna, 1939; depicted in the exhibition catalog. Also depicted in ‘Das Bild‘, 1939.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Altes Dorf in Nordtirol‘ (‘Old Village in Northern Tyrol‘). GDK 1941 room 16. Bought by Hitler for 2,000 Reichsmark. In the possession of the German Historical Museum.
The painting was found back by Allied Troops in May 1945 in the salt mines in Altaussee, Austria.
 

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Kärtner Bergmühle‘ (‘Mill in Kärtner‘). GDK 1940 room 19. Depicted in ‘Das Bild’, 1940.

Left: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Bauern des Bergdorfes’ (‘Farmers of Village in the Mountains‘). GDK 1941 room 33. Sold for 2,500 Reichsmark.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Tirol 1938’. Further details unknown.
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Aus dem Oberen Gericht im Oberinntal‘ (‘From the Oberen Gericht in the Oberinntal‘). GDK 1942 room 5. Sold for 2,800 Reichsmark. Depicted in ‘Das Bild‘, 1942.
Oberes Gericht is one of the 36 micro-regions of the federal state of Tirol: the area located in the Landeck District, reaches from Pontlatzbrücke to Finstermünzpass. Depicted on this painting by Puchinger is the village Serfaus.

Left: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Aus einem Tiroler Bauernhaus‘ (‘In a Haus in Tyrol‘). Displayed at the ‘Frühjahrsausstellung 1944‘, Wiener Künstlerhaus. Depicted in ‘Das Interessante Blatt‘, 7 June 1944.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Sägewerk im Hochgebirge‘ (‘Sawmill in the high Mountains‘). Displayed at the ‘Jubileumsausstellung 1861 – 1941‘, Wiener Künstlerhauses, 1941. Depicted in ‘Die Kunst im Deutschen Reich‘, 1942.
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Morgen in Oberinntal‘ (‘Morning in the Oberinntal, -Tyrol‘). GDK 1943 room 35. Sold for 4,500 Reichsmark. Depicted on postcards.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Das Glück der Einsamheit’ (‘The Happiness of being Alone‘). Depicted in ‘Mocca aus Wien’, Nr. 10. 1940.

‘Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘, Kunstausstellung Krakau, 1941/42/43.
At the opening of the third exhibition ‘Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘ in 1943 in Krakow, Ewin Puchinger was awarded the ‘Veit-Stoss Preis‘ of the ‘Veit-Stoss-Akademie der Bildende Künste in Krakau‘ (Innsbrucker Nachrichten 14 December 1943). The price was granted by the Generalgouveneur Reichsminister Dr. Frank, for ‘hervorragende Leistungen deutscher Künstler im Generalgouvernement‘.
The exhibitions ‘Kunstausstellung des Generalgouvernements, -Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘, located in the Obere Räume der Tuchthällen, Adolf Hitler Platz, Krakau, were held 1941, 1942 and 1943.
Below a billboard, announcing the ‘Kunstausstellung des Generalgouvernements, -Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘, Krakau, 1941.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Das Bergdorf‘ (‘Village in the Mountains‘). GDK 1944 room 39. Sold for 4,500 Reichsmark. Depicted on postcards.
The painting was found back by Allied Troops in May 1945 in the salt mines in Altaussee, Austria

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Die Heueinbringung‘ (‘Bringing in the Hay‘). Signed 1919, Size, 48 x 65 cm. Sticker on the back with ‘Künstlerhaus Wien‘.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Bauernkinder aus Virgen’ (‘Farmer-children from Virgen‘), signed 1938. GDK 1939 room 35. Bought by Arthur Seys-Inquart for 1,800 Reichsmark.
Right: ‘Bauernkinder aus Virgen’ by Puchinger, litho. Offered on Ebay.de in 2023. Size 48 x 45 cm.
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Mäher im Hochgebirge‘ (‘Mower in the High Mountains‘). Displayed at the ‘Ausstellung des Aquarellistenklubs’, Wiener Künstlerhaus, 1928. Depicted in the Austrian magazine ‘Moderne Welt, -Kultur und Gesellschaft‘, 1928, zweites May Heft.

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Die Höhe Brücke‘ (‘The High Bridge‘), 1944. Previously in the possession of German writer Max Hayek (1882 – 1944).

Left: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Einsames Gässchen’ (‘Lonely Alley’). Depicted in ‘Die Muskete’, Nummer 19, 1930.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Die Schwestern‘ (‘Sisters‘). Oil on canvas, Size 125 x 57 cm. Sold by a German auction in 2013.
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Der Weg Zurück‘. Cover of the book ‘The Way Back‘ by Erich Maria Remarque, published in 1931. Sequel to Remarque’s 1929 novel ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’.

Left: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Kriegsbilder-Ausstellung des k. u. k. Kriegspressequartiers’, Künstlerhaus Wien,  2. Oktober 1915. Poster of a war-paintings exhibition in Vienna, 1915.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Wiener Kunstgewerbe Verein‘. Poster announcing an exhibition of the Wiener Kunstverein in 1912.
   

Erwin Puchinger, poster announcing an exhibition by the ‘Photographischen Gesellschaft’, Vienna, 1904. Size 28 x 24 cm. In the possession of the Museum of Applied Arts, Budapest.

Lef: Erwin Puchinger, poster of the ‘K. K. EISENBAHN WIEN-ASPANG SCHNEEBERGBAHN. VERGNÜGUNGSZÜGE IN DAS SCHNEEBERG- u. WECHSEL-GEBIET‘. Created in 1900. In the possession of the Albertina Museum, Vienna.  Size 95 x 63 cm.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Österreich, Das Alpenland‘ (‘Austria, Land of the Alps‘), 1933. Advertisement for touristic purposes. Size 100 x 63 cm.
   

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, holds 10 designs by Erwin Puchinger:

  • Design for the title page of ‘Das Interieur’, 1902.
  • Design for a certificate to accompany the award of a bronze medal for years of dedication to a single employer,  awarded by the Guilds Society of Lower Austria, ca. 1910.
  • Design for the cover of the 25th anniversary publication of the Viennese Graphic Design School (1888-1913), 1913.
  • Design for a certificate of citizenship, awarded by the city of Vienna, ca. 1910–15.
  • Design for a cover or title page for the 25th anniversary publication of the Viennese Graphic Design School (1888-1913), 1913.
  • Design for the cover of the Austrian Illustrated Newspaper (Österreichs illustrierte Zeitung), ca . 1910.

Erwin Puchinger, design of a Stamp celebrating the Austria-referendum at 10 April 1938.
A sham referendum on the Anschluss with Germany was held in German-occupied Austria on 10 April 1938, alongside one in Germany. German troops had already occupied Austria one month earlier, on 12 March 1938. The official result was reported as 99.73% in favor.

Erwin Puchinger, design of stamps issued by the ‘Generalgouvernement’ (General Government, territorial unit in Poland with its own administration created by the Nazis on October 26, 1939. When the Germans invaded Poland in September 1939, they split the country into three parts: the western third was annexed to the Third Reich; the eastern third was occupied by the Soviet Union; and the central third was made into the ‘Generalgouvernement’.

Erwin Puchinger, designs for war bonds.
Left: War bond poster for the 3rd War Loan, 1915.
Right: War bond poster for the 5th War Loan, 1916.
   

Left: Erwin Puchinger, ‘Allegory of the general, equal and direct male suffrage enacted in 1907’. Created 1907/08. Bust of Kaiser Franz Joseph I in front of the Parliament in Vienna. The bust is carried by men of all classes who symbolize the electorate. Lithography, depicted in the ‘Österreichs Illustrierte Zeitung‘, 2 December 1908.
Right: Erwin Puchinger, cover of the exhibition catalog of the ‘XXXVIII Jahresausstellung Wien’, Künstlerhaus, Vienna 1913.
   

Erwin Puchinger, ‘Sturm des Infanterieregimentes Freiherr von Fürstenwärther No. 56 auf die Höhen von Sta. Giustina in der Schlacht von Somma Campagna am 23. Juli 1848’ (‘Storming of the Infantry Regiment Freiherr von Fürsterwärter No. 56 at the Heights of Santa Giustina in the Battle of Sommacampagna (It.) at 23 July 1848’). Created 1912/13. Litho after a painting by Puchinger, size 50 x 67 cm. Provenance: Kaiser Franz Joseph I. Given by the Oberstkämmereramt to the Fideikommissbibliothek at 24 July 1913.

Erwin Puchinger, large decorative painting at the ‘Exposition Universelle’ of 1900 (the 1900 Paris Exposition), displayed in the Austrian Pavilion. Painted on Hungarian ash-wood. Widely published by the Austrian, French and British press.
Right: Puchinger’s painting depicted in ‘Das Interieur’, Hauptteil Seite 125, 1900.   

Erwin Puchinger, photographed by Rudolf Koppitz in 1914.

Erwin Puchinger
Erwin Puchinger, born in 1875 in Vienna, was a Viennese painter, illustrator and graphic artist. Puchinger, coming from a family of civil servants and officers, studied at the ‘Malschule Schild’, then from 1891 to 1892 he followed evening courses at the Höhere Grafische Bundes-Lehr- und Versuchsanstalt (‘Higher Federal Institution for Graphic Education and Research’, founded in 1888 in Vienna). Later he went to the ‘Kunstgewerbeschule des Österreichische Museum für Kunst und Industrie‘ (founded 1867), where he studied under the muralist and art professor Franz von Matsch (1861–1942). At the end of his studies, he came in contact with a group of other young artist -Otto Wagner,  Josef Hoffman,  Joseph Maria Olbrich, Koloman Moser, Gustav Klimt, Max Kurzweil- and joined the newly created Vienna Secession. Puchinger made study trips to London, Prague, Paris and Italy.
One of Puchinger’s large decorative paintings, displayed in the Austrian Pavilion at the ‘Exposition Universelle 1900’ in Paris (Paris World Fair 1900), received great press coverage in France, Austria and the UK.
From 1901 Puchinger was a teacher; from 1908 Professor of Drawing (1916-18 at the War Press Headquarters), and from 1933 he was Head of the Department for Manual Graphics at the ‘Higher Federal Institution for Graphic Education and Research’ in Vienna.
In the first two decades of the 20th century, Puchinger designed a large amount of commercial posters, covers of magazins and art catalogs, posters for exhibitions, and war bonds. Unlike his Art Nouveau graphic and craft works, his (later) paintings were naturalistic and characterized by strict color schemes in the presentation of landscapes and scenes of rural life.
In 1931, Puchinger created the cover of the book ‘Der Weg Zurück‘ (‘The Way Back‘) by Erich Maria Remarque (sequel to Remarque’s 1929 novel ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’). In 1936 he participated in the art exhibition (‘art competiition’) of the Summer Olympics in Berlin. In 1939 he took part in the exhibitions ‘Berge und Menschen der Ostmark’, Künstlerhaus Vienna, Vienna (with 9 works), and ‘Berge, Menschen und Wirtschaft der Ostmark‘ in Berlin.
Several works by Puchinger were depicted in ‘Das Bild’, ‘Die Kunst im Dritten Reich’ and ‘Kunst dem Volk’.
In 1938, Puchinger created the design of a special stamp celebrating the Austria-referendum at 10 April 1938 (a sham referendum on the Anschluss with Germany was held in German-occupied Austria on 10 April 1938, alongside one in Germany. German troops had already occupied Austria one month earlier, on 12 March 1938. The official result was reported as 99.73% in favor). Later he also created a large series of stamps issued by the ‘Generalgouvernement’ (General Government, territorial unit in Poland with its own administration created by the Nazis on October 26, 1939).
At the  Great German Art Exhibitions, Puchinger displayed 18 works. They were sold for prices of up to 4,500 Reichsmark to Hitler (3), architect Clemens Klotz, Theo Memmel (mayor of Würzburg), Franz Xavier Schwarz (National Treasurer of the NSDAP), and Arthur Seyss-Inqart (Reich commissioner for the German-occupied Netherlands). Most of Puchingers GDK displayed works were Tirol landscapes and -scenes of rural life.

Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘, Kunstausstellung Krakau, 1941/42/43.
At the opening of the third exhibition ‘Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘ in 1943 in Krakow, Ewin Puchinger was awarded the ‘Veit-Stoss Preis‘ of the ‘Veit-Stoss-Akademie der Bildende Künste in Krakau‘ (Innsbrucker Nachrichten 14 December 1943). The price was granted by the Generalgouveneur Reichsminister Dr. Frank, for ‘hervorragende Leistungen deutscher Künstler im Generalgouvernement‘.
The exhibitions ‘Kunstausstellung des Generalgouvernements, -Deutsche Künstler sehen das Generalgouvernement‘, located in the Obere Räume der Tuchthällen, Adolf Hitler Platz, Krakau, were held 1941, 1942 and 1943.

Erwin Puchinger died at 17 May 1944 in Vienna. Three months later, August 1944, his name was put on the Gottbegnadeten List . German Historical Museum’s explanation is that the List may already have been created, in concept, in 1939. 

Salt mines in Altaussee
Seven paintings by Puchinger ended up in the Central Collecting Point in Munich. Two of them were found back by Allied Troops in May 1945 in the salt mines in Altaussee, Austria: ‘Markt in Tirol’ (‘Market in Tirol’, GDK 1939, bought by Hitler) and ‘Altes Dorf in Nordtirol‘ (‘Old Village in Northern Tyrol‘, GDK 1941, bought by Hitler).
Between 1943 and 1945, the extensive complex of salt mines in Altaussee served as a huge repository for art stolen by the Nazis. It also contained some contemporary art works in the possession of Hitler, and holdings from Austrian collections. At the end of the war the entire depot stored 6,577 paintings, 137 sculptures, and 484 crates of other art. Most of the artworks were accumulated under the alias ‘Sonderauftrag Linz’ by Adolf Hitler and were intended for the planned Führermuseum in Linz, Austria.

Works by Puchinger are nowadays in the possession of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (10 designs), German Historical Museum, Berlin, the Museum of Applied Arts, Budapest, Imperial War Museum, London, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, and the Albertina Museum, Vienna.