At the backside of the painting is a stamp with the words “Legacy of Professor Hans Best” .
|– condition||: II|
|– size||: 51 x 39 cm, excluding frame|
|– signed||: right, under (and backside)|
|– type||: oil on board|
Hans Best, postcards. Lunette wall-paintings, Auerbachs Keller, 1913.
Left: ‘Falsch Gebild und Wort’. Wine cellar-scene from Goethe’s Faust.
Right: ‘Hexenkuche’ (‘Kitchen of Witches’). Scene from Goethe’s Faust.
Left: Hans Best, ‘Beim Schoppen’ (Having a Drink), postcard. GDK 1941 room 25.
Right: Hans Best, ‘Fachgenossen’ (‘Collegues’). GDK 1940 room 10. Bought by minister Hermann Esser.
Hans Best, ‘Besuch von auswärts‘ (‘Visitor from outside’). GDK 1942, room 10. Bought by Hitler for 15.000 RM. In the possession of the Deutsches Historische Museum, Berlin.
Hans Best, ‘Aus dem Bauernkrieg 1520’ (‘From die Peasant’s Revolt 1520). GDK 1940 room 14. Bought by Joseph Goebbels for 4.000 Reichsmark. Depicted in ‘Nationalsozialistische Monatshefte’, 10. Jahrgang, 1939.
Left: Hans Best, ‘Im Gespräch’ (‘Conversations’). Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1917
Right: Hans Best, ‘Stilleben’ (‘Still-life”). Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1918
Left: Hans Best, ‘Näherinnen auf dem Lande‘ (‘Seamstress in the country‘). Münchener Jahresausstellung 1910 im Kgl. Glaspalast.
Right: Hans Best, ‘Dorfpolitiker‘ (‘Village-politicians‘). Jubiläums-Ausstellung der Münchener Künstler-Genossenschaft zu Ehren des 90. Geburtstages Sr. Kgl. Hoheit des Prinz Regenten Luitpold von Bayern, München, Glaspaast, 1911.
Hans Best, self-portrait.
Hans (Johann) Best (1874 – 1942) was a German landscape and genre painter, who also worked as a sculptor, drawer and illustrator. In 1894, Best, the son of a carpenter, went to the Akademie der Bildenden Künste in Munich. His professors were Karl Raupp and Wilhelm von Diez. After this studies he opened an atelier in Munich. He travelled for inspiration throughout Italy, France and Belgium. He became a member of the Munich Art Association, and also a member of the jury that judged the yearly exhibitions. Hans Best also worked as Professor in Graphic Arts at the Royal Art School in Munich. For the Ernst Wasmuth Publishing Company he created several murals. In 1913 he created the murals ‘Falsch Gebild und Wort’ and ‘Hexenküche’ (both scenes from Goethe’s Faust) in the famous Auerbachs Keller in Leipzig (pictures above). Best was awarded with the Gold medal of the Glaspalast-Exhibition (1913), the Austrian State Medal (1916) and the Lenbach-Preis of the City of Munich (1940). His style focuses on country-people: farmers, mountainguides, hunters, gardeners and ordinary small town people. All of them are depicted in realistic day-to-day scenes. The Bavarian landscape was also one of his preferred motifs. Many of his paintings, which often have rather humoristic depictions, were printed on postcards. In 1936 Best displayed paintings and sculptures at the exhibition ‘Blut und Boden’, organised by the NS-Kulturgemeinde im Kunstverein in Karlsruhe.
In the Great German Art Exhibitions from 1938 to 1941 Hans Best was represented with an impressive number of 34 works, almost nine per year. Twelve of his paintings were bought by Hitler and Goering. Hans Best died in 1942 in Munich.